Skimboarding has been around for decades and it’s an exhilarating beach activity that requires minimal equipment. One essential item you’ll need to get started is a skimboard, but with so many brands and types available it can be daunting to select the right one. This post will guide you through the market to find the ideal board for your needs.
Let’s first define what a skimboard is: it’s a small, narrow board used to glide across shallow water at the beach. Similar to surfing, but instead of paddling out towards the waves you run towards them and jump on board as it glides across their surface. Skimboarding provides an enjoyable way for everyone to enjoy the beach – perfect for all ages!
When selecting the ideal skimboard, there are several factors to take into account such as your skill level, weight, height and type of waves you plan on riding. Let’s take a closer look at some of the top skimboards currently available on the market and determine which one best suits your needs.
Types of Skimboards
Before we take a closer look at the best skimboards, it’s essential to understand the different varieties available. There are two primary varieties: flatland skimboards and wave skimboards.
Flatland skimboards are perfect for gliding across shallow water, such as a shoreline or lake. Usually smaller and thinner, these boards make a great choice for beginners or people who want to try skimmboarding in an informal environment.
Wave skimboards, on the other hand, are specifically designed for riding waves and require more skill and expertise. These boards tend to be larger and thicker – perfect for experienced skimmers looking to advance their abilities.
Top Skimboards for Beginners
Beginners should start with a flatland skimboard. Here are our top three picks:
- Wave Zone Diamond – This board is ideal for beginners who require a board that’s easy to maneuver and stable. Crafted with top-notch materials, its sturdy construction can handle the rigors of learning.
- Victoria Woody – This board is perfect for beginners who need an affordable yet high-quality board. Crafted out of wood with a classic design reminiscent of skimboarding’s early days, this board provides all these advantages at an unbeatable price point.
- Zap Wedge – This board is ideal for beginners who require a lightweight and portable board that can withstand the rigors of learning. Crafted with high-quality materials, this board offers durability in spite of regular usage so it will last through all your endeavors.
Top Skimboards for Intermediate Skimmers
Intermediate skimmers should opt for a wave skimboard that’s specifically designed to ride waves. Here are our top three picks:
- Exile EX0 – Ideal for intermediate skimmers who require a fast, responsive board. Crafted with top-notch materials and featuring an unbreakable construction that can withstand even the toughest moves, the Exile EX0 will remain competitively priced even with its advanced features.
- Victoria Skimboards Woody – This board is ideal for intermediate skimmers who desire both affordability and high quality. Crafted out of wood with a classic design reminiscent of the early days of skimboarding, this board offers both.
- Zap Lazer – This board is ideal for intermediate skimmers who require a lightweight and portable option. Crafted with high-quality materials, its durable construction can handle the rigors of more advanced moves with ease.
Top Skimboards for Advanced Skimmers
Advanced skimmers should opt for a wave skimboard designed specifically for high-performance riding. Here are the top three choices:
- Exile EX1 – This board is ideal for advanced skimmers who require a fast, responsive board that can handle large waves. Crafted with top-notch materials and featuring durable construction to withstand repeated abuse from advanced moves, the Exile EX1 offers great value and performance.
- Victoria Skimboards Polyvac – This board is ideal for advanced skimmers who demand high quality and customization. Crafted with Polyvac material that’s lightweight yet strong, you can customize it to fit your riding style perfectly.
- Zap Wedge Pro – This board is ideal for advanced skimmers who require a lightweight, fast, and responsive board. Crafted with premium materials with durable construction that can withstand the rigors of advanced moves, this board will deliver on its promise.
When selecting a skimboard, size matters. Your decision will depend on your height, weight and skill level. Here’s a general guideline for selecting the right size:
Beginners: Select a skimboard that’s approximately 75% of your height.
Intermediate Skimmers: Select a skimboard that is between 50-75% of your height.
Advanced Skimmers: Select a skimboard that’s approximately 50% your height.
Your skateboard’s shape can significantly impact performance. Here are the most common shapes:
- Round Nose – This shape is ideal for beginners as it offers stability and ease of maneuvering.
- Pointed Nose – For advanced skimmers, this shape offers speed and precision as well as superior maneuverability.
- Square Tail – Ideal for wave skimmboards, this shape provides stability and control.
- Pin Tail – Perfect for wave skimmboards, this shape offers speed and maneuverability.
The materials used to construct your skimboard will determine its durability and performance. Here are the most common ones:
- Wood – This material is cost-effective and reliable, though it may be heavy and slow in execution.
- Fiberglass – Lightweight and strong, fiberglass is an attractive material; however, its cost may be prohibitive for some consumers.
- Carbon Fiber – Lightweight and robust, carbon fiber can be expensive.
When skimmboarding, there are a few essential accessories that can improve your performance and safety. Here are some essential skimboard essentials:
- Traction Pad – A traction pad provides grip and stability on your skimboard.
- Wax – Wax provides extra grip on your skimboard.
- Leash – A leash keeps your skimboard securely attached to you, preventing it from drifting away.
- Fins – Fins offer stability and control on your skimboard.
Selecting the perfect skimboard is essential for enjoying this exciting beach activity. When selecting one, take into account your skill level, weight, height, and the type of waves you plan on riding. Moreover, consider the size, shape, materials of your board as well as investing in essential accessories like traction pads, wax, leashes and fins. By following these guidelines closely you’ll be well on your way to finding the ideal skimboard that meets all your requirements.